DS3 Boot build and speaker upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 Boot build and speaker upgrade

As in my build thread, ive had a boot build done and upgraded the speakers so thought i would put a bit of a 'how to' on

Started with the front door speakers, decided to get some Vibe black Air component speakers

Boot Build by clair.piper.1, on Flickr

These are 6 inch and will also fit in the back as I found out the front and rear speakers are the same size.

The door trim is easily removed as it is just clips and screws. First off use a knife or something flat that can get behind the plastic door handle surround and just prise it until it pops off. Then remove the screw that is located under the cover in the electric window control panel in the door and also the 4 screws around the door panel (2 down side and 2 underneath) remove the electric window control panel and un-clip the connectors. The door card is then ready to be removed as its just held on by 8 clips around it so just try and prise it at one side, once one clip as popped out its fairly easy to get off then.

Once the door trim was removed we had to drill out the rivets which holds the speaker and the plastic frame that the speaker sits in. After that we cut out the back section of the frame so that the new speakers could fit as they are deeper than the standard ones.

Once the frame was cut to size we fitted this back in the door and drilled new holes and used self tapping screws. After that we then fitted the new speakers in and just connected the wiring up to the original wiring that was connected to the standard speakers.

When finished the door panel is easily reassembled by just reversing the steps above.

It would be same for the rear speakers as they are held in the same way. I have yet to upgrade the rears but will be doing it this week so will upload some more pics when finished.

Steve then got to work on the boot build. We used 18mm mdf for a false floor and to make the subs and amp box. We used the boot carpet as a template to make the false floor but then had to cut it down quite a bit to make it fit so dont make that mistake as we did lol once we had cut it to the right size, we then cut out a square to make a hatch to use the space where the spare wheel would go, we took out the polystyrene insert and it gives quite a decent size storage space.

We then did alot of measuring for the sub box and started to build it to fit exactly into the boot space.

And it fits phew :-)

Got it wrapped in carpet and used carpet spray glue and staples and then fitted the subs and amp.

I used the old carpet as a template to cut out a new piece and then stuck that to the back part of the false floor where the sub box sits to hold it in place and i can still lift the front part of the carpet to get to the storage compartment.

Untitled by clair.piper.1, on Flickr

Next was wiring it all up, removed the trim on the right side of the boot and unplugged the OEM sub and amp, use the following wires on this plug to connect the new amp...

Pin 7 - Switch wire - to turn the amp on/off
    Pin 1 - Negative rear right speaker
    Pin 2 - Positive rear right speaker
    Pin 9 - Negative rear left speaker
    Pin 10 - Positive rear left speaker

Connected these wires into the corresponding connectors on the High/Low signal converter used

Then we connected the left and right output from the signal converter to the left and right input on the new amp.

We then run out a power cable from the amp to the battery. We run it out at the drivers side and tucked it in the plastic trim all the way along the car and then popped an hole in the grommet under the cover in the driver side foot well

Cover

Pop the clip out

Grommet

Dont remove the grommet as its a pain to get back in, just pop and hole through and feed the wire through as shown in the pic.

We then fed that wire round to the battery and connect it like this

Also ran out a amp control so i can alter the base and fitted it in the little compartment under the steering wheel

​

We also used the boot light wiring to power some blue led's

Finished result

1.6 THP150 Black with Blue Matte Metallic Roof, Spoiler, Mirrors and Baguettes. Forge Engine Modifications. Full Milltek Sports Exhaust and High Flow Cat.

Great write up Clair, it looked and sounded great on Saturday.
    DS3 Racing, also available in White

Comment

Sweet Setup! I was going to do this but have to fold down my seats sometimes. What LEDs have you used?

Comment

Thanks guys, Tommy, ive used just some cheap ones off ebay, these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390483432255
        1.6 THP150 Black with Blue Matte Metallic Roof, Spoiler, Mirrors and Baguettes. Forge Engine Modifications. Full Milltek Sports Exhaust and High Flow Cat.

Comment

Great write up. This will definatly help me when I finally decide to get mine done... On the other hand I could just commission you to do it for me

Comment

Thanks, Will get some ordered! We will definitely be the noisiest club

Comment

haha thats true, but you'll have to find me in the themed paddocks this year, just found out tonight ive been accepted :-)

Comment

Nice One! Will defo come round and take a listen

Comment

Originally posted by DS3Dan View Post
                  Great write up. This will definatly help me when I finally decide to get mine done... On the other hand I could just commission you to do it for me

Haha i think steve did enough swearing and shouting when he did mine lol but if you need any help with it just let us know :-)

Comment

Hey Clair, quick question, did you fix the mdf floor down in anyway or is it just wedged in place?

Comment

Originally posted by DS3Dan View Post
                      Hey Clair, quick question, did you fix the mdf floor down in anyway or is it just wedged in place?
                      No, didnt fix it down, laid some foam round the edges and placed the floor on that, with the weight of the subs it aint going anywhere and no rattles either :-)

Comment

Ah right because as I am going to mount my sub in the floor was thinking it might need fixing somehow as might bounce about with the power of the sub, although to be fair it does weigh a ton

Comment

I think it will be fine tbh, I think if you look at Tommy's boot build he has just wrapped the carpet underneath the MDF floor and with it being a tight fit and the weight of the sub it holds it in place :-)

Comment

Hey Clair, sorry to be a pest, just 1 more thing. When u get some time would u mind measuring the clearance from the top of the mdf floor to the bottom of the wheel well. Just had a look and it looks about 20cm but without having the mdf in I can't be sure. Think I'm going to have a problem with my sub as it is very deep , not sure if there is enough clearance under the floor

Comment

Hi Dan, no problem, happy to help. Mine is raised slightly as i used 2 inch thick foam as padding under the floor, so you might have to do something similar to raise it, i'll measure what clearance i have and let you know, going out to clean the car shortly so will get back to you asap :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X